There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Chilly Monday

It is a chilly Monday. Mom is still asleep . But I am fixing to go bug her. We had a nice weekend . My son and I watched football most of the day Saturday. Arkansas finally won a conference game which was nice. And Mom napped. She did not drink much all day. I had to put her drink in the end of the straw and put it in her mouth to get her to drink . I also have a dropper I fill with water to get her to drink at night. She has completely stopped drinking at night. When I get up to turn her I need a drink so I think she does too. But no she will not open her month. She just will not respond to anything . Sunday was better. She ate good and drank almost all her liquids. I went shopping and got her favorites and a few new things. She did not really respond to me unless I kind of yelled Mom! or Earlene!! and she would say What!.

I try to not give her to much medicine to make her nice and keep her calmed down because it makes her sleep to much. So I am trying new things. Her nurse told what and how much to give her and which to take together . I just have to figure out which combo is the best. She has pills , gel you put on her wrist and Morphine you give her in a dropper . All to make her feel good , relax, be nice and take away pain. I can't give them to her all at the same time but am trying different ones to see which works the best and still she will be awake to eat. It is a pain in the bottom but I might of figured it out because Sunday was good. But today will be different I bet. Nothing is ever the same.

15 comments:

  1. My dad is on 17 different medications that he takes 2 times a day- my mom and I are still trying to figure out the right combination- even the doctors don't know! Its nice to know were not the only ones out there who haven't perfected it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    I know exactly what you are going through! Hang in there...

    xoxoxoxo
    Donna M ;

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Victoria and Donna Marie. Hope we get the meds right and I am hanging in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen,

    How is your mom's medical status? It's none of my business, but I'm just wondering the origin of her pain. It can be so tricky to find the right combination of meds that will promote comfort and pain relief, but not cause so much lethargy that dehydration becomes a risk. You are doing such an amazing job with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's been sleeping most of the day. But she eats and drinks slowly half a wake. She has pain in her legs and feet from gout and Arihritis. And she yells if you touch her anywhere esle on her body.From ,I have no idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you had a good weekend. We had college football on all day Saturday. Our teams didn't do so well, however.
    I continue to marvel at the loving care you give to your mom. I think it can be so confusing to figure out medications issues. When I saw my mom yesterday she was very uncomfortable from itching. This is something new and I have no idea what is causing it as there is no obvious rash or anything like that. As you say, tomorrow it could be totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks and I hope you mom's itching stops. That would be so misable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen
    I love the new picture you've posted of your mom and dad. Indeed those do look like happy times, and I know you cherish those memories and pictures.

    Your so right about nothing ever staying the same. It seems like people with Alzheimer's can change from moment to moment.

    You're an amazing daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I just found this picture today and has to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such patience and compassion in taking care of your mom!!
    You are truly amazing.
    Glad you enjoyed your weekend with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh you are just wonderful what you put up with and how you take care of your mother, my mom is 62 and in good health so far but she has recently been dianosed with leukemia. I worry for her and know that some day i will be there to care for her. You are an angel on earth love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Karen and Mandatory bloger. So sorry to here about your mom MB.She in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen
    You are a saint! I can't imagine having the patience that you do caring for your mom. I'll be praying for you and I hope you figure out the best combination of meds.
    ((hugs)) Rhondi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts