There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Potatoe Flakes



I tried something new for supper. We had cream of chicken soup and I put some instant potato flakes in mom's to make it thicker and more filling. I tasted it . Not bad. And she ate it. Tomorrow I am really going to cook. We are going to have meatloaf. Hopefully mom will eat it. She loves mystery meat so maybe she will love my meatloaf. Believe me it is a mystery. She used to eat it so we will have to see if she will now.

It is warm today. A little to warm. Actually hot inside the house. I do have some windows open.It is great outside I went out and played with my dogs. D.o.g. has been good for a week. I took him off the chain and he has not gotten out and in the neighbors trash. Lucky is our big fluffy baby . He loves to be brushed. You have to watch out because he has busted my lip more than once. He likes to jump up and give you a kiss. OUCH!


12 comments:

  1. He is just excited and wants to love ya...I know it hurts though...been there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I use potato flakes in many of my soups that I make from scratch. It makes a great thickener for stews, too. My MIL used them in meatloaf, but I grew up using oats (as in quick-cooking oatmeal). Getting hungry now!
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take good care of you Mom.It's a big job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to dig up a few of my fav. recipies, I have some really simple ones that taste great.

    We just got our dog copper a few months ago and he cured me of wanting children anytime soon. In fact I was petting him today and he jumped up and head butted me in the mouth. Now Im looking up ways to discourage jumping... sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually put corn flakes in my meatloaf but I might try potatoe flakes . I am out of corn flakes and oats. Was going to use dried bread crumbs. I think potatoe flakes might be better.
    My dogs like to jump on me alot . I am getting lots of lovin. Not sure how to discourage them. If I put my hand out and say NO. It works sometimes. It is the times I am not paying attention is when they get me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like quite a challenge to find things that your mom will eat.
    I make meatloaf in my slow cooker. I also like it cold on sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you, Karen, for leaving the comment at my blog today. Of course I cried too when I read your comment, so we are a pair! I sure think a sudden death can be more difficult even than Alzheimer's...the fact that AD is slow progressing gives us time to adapt and accept. God bless you in your caregiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen.I like cold meatloaf sandwichs too.
    thanks linda we are Crying buddies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for visiting me .... promise the party never got out of hand! Your blog brings back so very many memories of my care giving years with my mother. I kept a journal for those five years and now when I go back to read it, I am reminded of how much I loved her and how I would do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Helen. Never hurts to party a little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great idea! I will tell my friend about it for his mom. She likes soft foods you know but he worries she doesnt get enough calories. Have you tried the canned bean soups for one. I forget who makes them but his mom loves them. Nice and soft for her too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to look for the canned bean soups because mom needs protein and beans have lots of protein. I feed her refried beans alot. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts