There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Milkshake's and Smoothie's

I have not made it to the store yet so I have not gotten any Thick-it. A lot of my blogger friend's suggested Thick-it to put in moms drinks so she won't choke. Well you guys that know me know I make do with what I got. Mom as been enjoying an array of different drinks. My son makes the best smoothies. Here is the recipe again. 1/2 cup milk, 1/2cup OJ, 6oz vanilla yogurt, one soft banana,4 ice cubes and a hand full or two of frozen fruit. I like blueberries or strawberries. He likes mixed fruit. I get big bags of frozen fruit from Sam's . They last forever.



Okay here is the weird stuff . This morning we mixed apple jc.. with applesauce. I tasted it. Not bad. Last night for supper we did warm milk and potato flakes. I had to do that twice. First time did not work. The milk was not warm enough to cook the flakes so I got some water very hot. About a 1/4 cup and than added flakes than when that cooled down and they looked like mashed potatoes I filled the rest of the cup up with milk. Yes, I tasted it . Needed salt and butter. LOL! Not my best work but mom drank it.



I also tried milk and yogurt, apple jc. and yogurt and gatorade and yogurt . Each one was very good. Like a small milkshake or smoothie. I used a whisk to mix things up good. I also found out it is hard for mom to suck this stuff up the long straw. She always stops halfway and down the straw it goes so I cut the straw in half. It worked. Hard on me to get it to the bottom of the cup but easy on mom to suck up the drink.



Today I will go shopping and look for the thicken stuff and also stock up on nutrition drinks they are good tasting and thick all ready. If I can't find the thicken stuff I will ask moms nurse if she will bring me some. I bet she will.

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! We do have to think outside the straw sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, for so many good ideas. Your mom certainly raised a very sweet, responsible and caring daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't but think what a great daughter you are to take such good care of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, yes I think the nurse might bring you some -- if she's a Hospice nurse then they may supply it for your Mom.

    If not, big drug store chains carry it, and it's a lot cheaper to buy a canister of it then to buy it in the individual packets.

    My dad was told not to use a straw to drink, but he's perfectly capable of drinking from a glass on his own, as his problem is not AD.

    I took him to dinner tonight; Thursday is "pea soup" night at the diners in New Jersey (I have no clue why) and Pop loves pea soup, so off we went. He enjoyed it, and thank goodness they had tomato juice for him, as he wouldn't let me bring in a can of apricot nectar for him to have.

    Brilliant idea to cut the straw. do you have the big wide straws they have at places like MacDonalds or QuickChek for milkshakes? if not, I'll bet your local McDonald's manager would just give you a bunch of them. Are you friendly with a clergyman? That might be good -- have the pastor ask the manager.

    I am awed by how you cope. Bless you.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. Great idea about the big straws.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts