There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Animal Crackers






Bet you all can't guess what we are having for supper tonight.



Your right if you guessed animal crackers. You guys are good. We are also having yogurt and macaroni salad. I know, not to healthy. But tasty. First mom was eating the yogurt and animal crackers and I was eating the mac. salad . She ran out of yogurt and wanted more to eat so I gave her some of my mac. salad and she started eating it. So I am finishing the bag of animal crackers while she is finishing my mac. salad. Silly aren't we?



Mom does not use spoons and forks anymore but if your love ones are having trouble holding on to there's here are a couple ideas. You can buy from the Alzheimer's store very heavy utensils . They are thick and I guess that being heavy the person knows they have something in there hands. But they cost to much. Mom's PT gave us a piece of foam to slip on our own utensils . It makes them big and thick. She used it better than the one I bought for $10. So I would go that route . Not sure were to find one if you don't have a PT. You could ask Home Health Care any Aid or Nurse.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Karen - I'm sorry I've been missing in action a lot this week, but I've appreciated your comments on my blog and understand you're struggling a bit with HUNGER too. I think we have to be gentle with ourselves, and do the best we can each day which will vary from day day to day. Food does provide comfort...it works, unfortunately. We can resist and also try to fill up on good healthy food, but sometimes animal crackers and macaroni salad are like a cooling balm! I hope you're hanging in there with your mom. It certainly sounds like you're doing pretty well.

    The adaptive utensils are great...we use them a lot for the developmentally disabled population I work with, and it gives them much greater ability to feed themselves. Take care and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your mom is eating, that's the main thing. Good idea making the handles for the spoon and fork yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animal crackers are actually low in calories and fat, I snack on them sometimes too-

    they also have chocolate animal crackers too! those are my fav. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you're so creative.....and your meal sounds delicious.
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was good today I cooked chicken and dumplings. They were pretty good. Mom ate the dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was left completely up to me we'd have grilled bratwurst every night, but yogurt and animal crackers sounds pretty good. We used the sandwich toaster to make tuna sandwich's tonight.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts