There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Miss The Eight Legged Monster

This has been some weekend. Friday and Saturday was good. My sister stayed over Friday night. Arkansas won it's 4th game in a roll and my son was here to watch the game with me. But Sunday was another matter. Mom would not wake up to eat breakfast. Than she had an accident in which we needed to open the window to air out the house. But the worst thing is she did not fight me. She did not try to kill me with her octopus arms. If you remember in an old post she was very dangerous when trying to change her. I realized this is another change for the worse I think . It can't be good. It is not what I am used to. Than to top that off she got sick to her stomach in bed. And I had another mess to clean up. Two bed changes today three loads of laundry later I think she is going to be okay. So far so good. Hopefully it is not the flu. Her nurse comes tomorrow so I will have her check mom out good. Maybe it is just because she is sick but I have noticed that she is drawing her arms up to her and holding her wrist hard even making nail marks. This has been going on for a few weeks . So I have been giving her stuff to hold . One of my blogger friends suggested a wash cloth . Very good idea. A towel works a little better she hugs it and does not drop it so much. Stuffed animals don't work or dolls. Anyway I hope tomorrow is better. Can't believe I am saying this but I miss the monster.I don't like her showing no emotion. I like some movement and even yelling . She still does that some. I hope she does that awhile longer.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Karen, you have had a rough day. You might ask the nurse to order hand braces which keeps your mother from grasping or in my MIL's case, she was curling her fingers into her hands & then not wanting to uncurl them.

    I will check in later in the week. My brother's battle with cancer is ending.
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, It sounds like the first part of your weekend was fun -- but I'm sorry about Sunday. It's very hard to watch the changes that AD brings. With my Mom, I am grateful for her sake that she is no longer arguing and angry and anxious, as she herself has more peace. But for the family -- we know it's the progression of the disease that is causing her new "contentment." It's especially hard to watch my Dad cope.

    The towel sounds like a good idea for your mother; I don't have any other suggestions for that. My Mom is fascinated with her hands now, like a baby who has just discovered them. Although sometimes they worry her, as she can't figure out what they are and why they are there. She keeps saying they "aren't right."

    I hope it's not flu with your Mom. Good luck!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear things are so rough. I hope your mom feels better. Keep us updated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. About every few days I am noticing things about my husband--some improvement (makes me hopeful) and some not.

    It is so good that you can check in with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. She is much better today. my prayers and gratitude go out to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your mom.
    Glad to see in your comment that she is doing better today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea, good to hear that your mom is doing better today. Each day is a new day, and hopefully you won't have any repeats of Sunday......

    My thoughts and prayers are with you!
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I was sad in a way to see my mom "give in" and not have her "spark" anymore. I didn't like when she'd fight us or be aggressive but I really didn't like when she simply became complacent. It was a sure sign to me that she was readying herself to go which made me so sad (that's pretty selfish of me though). She lasted a few more years in that state but I missed seeing the spark in her eyes.

    Excellent idea with the towel. My mom used to close her hands into balls to the point that they'd sweat and her fingers would go all prune-like. We never thought of a towel or something to hold.

    Good to hear your mom is doing better. Scary when they have bad days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. I just have to realize she is getting worse . I have to stop trying to get her to eat so much.I think it just makes her sick. Time to start leaving her alone. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts