Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Since my son is getting up at 5:30 every morning for his summer job . I have been getting up too. We eat breakfast together. I have seen him more the last week than I have for months. His school hours are all different and we seem to be up at different times. But now he leaves and comes home the same everyday. I like it but I am sure it is hard on his girlfriend. Last week I think they only saw each other one maybe two days. She came over to have supper with us one night and she told him he was so nice and lovable. I told her absence does make the heart grow fonder. LOL!
I am going to go bug mom in a minute . She won't like it . But since I am up earlier she is up earlier. Makes since right? I start getting her ready to get out of bed and hour earlier. I don't think she notices the deference much . Just as long as she is getting fed. She does like to eat. Thank Goodness.
I haven't wrote about any tips from the Alzheimer's Caregivers Playbook I was reading for awhile so thought I would do that.
Mom is easy to dress now. We just put her in an hospital gown and she is ready to go but I remember when it was not so easy. Making her change cloths and take a shower was really hard. She was stinky there for awhile. But later on she started letting us give her showers.
1. Allow twice the amount of time you think it will take for her to get dressed.
2. Don't act rushed or in a hurry.
3. Limit her choices to two outfits. Let her pick which one she wants to wear.
4. Lay her cloths out in the order she needs to put them on.
5. Talk her through getting dressed.
6. Use short , simple, one-step instructions.
7. If she loves one outfit and refuses to wear anything else , buy several outfits that look just like it.
8. Use pants with elastic waist and pullover tops to make dressing easier.
I always wanted to make mom some cloths with velco on them but never got around to it. We could just rip those suckers off. It was getting really hard to get her in pants right before she stopped walking . She would fall at any moment . Her knees would just buckle under her without warning. I finally started putting her in skirts . Seemed to go faster. And when is was potty time . Skirts were much easier to pull up then having to pull pants down. But that won't work for our male love ones. I would go with the Velcro. LOL! We got mom shoes with velcro instead of shoes strings . I love them. When she still wore shoes anyway.
Seven Stages of Alzheimer's
1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)
Mom's skin is pretty dry. We put lotion on it everyday. But it is dry and flaky. Today Agingcare.com had a story on skin . It said to...
My mom was eating breakfast . I think your new meds. are working she is eating and talking . Not really making sense but wide awake. That is...
Brain Fart is a term I learned from my son's girlfriend's mom. "I really like her and her daughter". Anyway she used this ...
I just got back from Wal-mart. My son stayed with mom. I got all I needed for her birthday. And I was so happy they had baby diapers "w...
Hi Everyone, It is 4:36 A.M. . Thats right I can't sleep. I only have around 30 or 40 more tips to go and I will be finished with the ...
Hi, Everyone. Tomorrow it will be one year since Mom passed. It has been a busy year. New friends , New Job and New Adventure's. Some g...
I am mad at my brother. More like pissed off. I was not mad till I started thinking about it . Over and over in my head. We were talking on ...
A great blogger is giving away some wonderful gift's for her 100th post . Go check it out. http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/
Good Morning All. It has been a busy few weeks. I actually got some work done around the house. And I did paint mom's room so I could m...
Acording to Caring.com there might be a brain scan to spot early warning signs of Alzheimer's available this year. But that will not hel...
- ► 2012 (9)
- ▼ May (7)
- ► 2010 (61)
Blogs and sites I like to visit.
- Alz's Team
- Alzheimer's Association
- Alzheimer's info
- carer,worker,mother ,wife
- Dealing With Alz's
- Dementia and Alzheimer's weekly
- Donna's Den
- God,mom,Alzheimers and me
- Had A Dad
- Living with Alzheimer's
- My Life As A Daughter
- That Old House
- the trip over