There are 5.4 million people who have Alzheimer's. It cost 183 billion dollars in annual costs. Alz's is the 6th leading cause of death.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US
1 John 4: 9-10

Mom and Dad Happy Times.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Remembering The Past

Mom has changed so much in less then a year. As far as how she acts. I reread some old post and noticed the changes. Just living with her everyday it seems like she is stuck in a hole and can't get out. Here is a post from 9-15-09. Called Eight Legged Monster. The difference in it and now is she does not sit in her easy chair anymore. I can't get her in it because of her constricted legs. And she never hits me anymore or anything else. Back than she talked my ear off . I used to get mad because she would not stop talking. Now it is a wonderful thing when she says a word.
Yesterday I was thinking if she was normal and did not have Alzheimer's we would go out an eat 2 or 3 times a week. Because we used to love to go out and eat. And I would be working so we could afford it. We would also go to the movies a lot . Which we have done ever since I was little. It would be great. My son is off living his life to the fullest and mom and I could just be best friends and run around all the time together. It used to be the three of us. Now I have not been out to eat with my son in months. And longer on going to a movie with him. He is just to busy and I don't want to take time away from him and his girl. They will be dating 3 yrs tomorrow. Hopefully he has something special planned because she has been talking about it for the last few weeks on Facebook.  LOL!
He does bring me takeout a lot so that is good. I like takeout. 
Anyway here is my old post.
 The Eight Legged Monster :
More like the eight armed monster. Or an Octopus. Mom would sit in her easy chair all day without moving if I let her. So nice and sweet. But when it is time to change her or move her LOOK OUT!
There are hands everywhere. In my face, chest , arms, stomach. Pinching ,scratching and tugging at my cloths. The chest is the worst . We need to invent a chest guard . Oh my poor boobs.
That is when I know mom is still alive.If she finds some fat to hold on to you are in trouble. Then you have to figure out how to get her death grip to let go. She has the strength of ten man. I can hardly defend myself. When she could or would still walk she would push me away and almost knock me down sometimes. She took down the hall of the hospital once and it took 3 nurses and the doctor to get her back to bed. Than they gave her enough pills to kill a horse "So said the Doctor" and she still needed a straight jacket to hold her down.
I don't miss the days when she would try to knock me down or run away but I do miss her walking. If only there could a happy medium to this disease.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Karen..... I wish you could get away for a day. As you know, being a full time care taker is so exhausting, you need a day away. I don't know how you take care of your mother day in and day out. You certainly have many jewels in your crown.

    I understand about looking back on previous blog entries to see how our loved one has changed. I do that too..... just to see how much David has changed. Heartbreaking....

    It's so sad to go through each of the awful stages of this disease. I pray for better medications and even better yet, a cure.

    You're in my thoughts and prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Thanks for posting these reflecions because I learn from you. You are so patient. I admire you absolutely. Like Dolores I also wish you could get away.You teach me to enjoy the moments I have now with my husband like you used to enjoy going out to eat and to a movie.

    Facebook friend me, sweet friend. We can get away on Facebook. Dolores and I do that. We play Wordscraper, a crssword puzzle game.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((HUGS))) I know it has to be lonley I so hope you have other suport around you. remember I am here if ya want my cell we can text when ya want... chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I made a movie date with my for next month. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You blog breaks my heart but you are such a wonderful daughter and caretaker you are truly inspiring

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and I love reading your comments. Please come back soon. Karen

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

The Early, Mild to Moderate and Advanced stages of Alzheimer's in the brain.

Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

1. No sign of congnitive impairment. 2. Very mild congnitive decline. 3. Mild congnitive decline. 4. Moderate congnitive decline. 5. Moderately severe congnitive decline. 6. Severe congnitive decline. 7. Very severe congnitive decline. (Congnitive pertains to the mental process of perception, memory, judgement, and reasoning, as contrasted with emotional and volitional processes.)

Popular Posts